Friday, August 22, 2008

Sara Who? Sara What?

Often times at dinner we discuss the next day’s itinerary. Here’s what happened one evening showing the historical prowess of my children….

(kids chorus) Where are we going tomorrow?
(Mom) We are going to visit Saratoga National Historical Park.
(Mom) What was the revolutionary war fought about?

(Various answers provided by the kids….who shall remain nameless to protect the innocent. Some were actually right!)

(kid1) Wasn’t it the war about freeing the slaves?
(kid2) No, it was about that lady who took her husband’s place in the war or something like that!
(Dad) I don’t think we’re talking about Sara Toga! It’s Saratoga – a place!
(kid2) Ohhhhh!
(Dad) I think that was Sara Pitcher.
(kids) Yeah! Yeah!
(Dad) Oops, it was Molly Pitcher.
(Mom) How do you remember so much about history?
(Dad) I read the kid’s history assignment a few months ago.

And our conversation continued – clearing the air about the difference between “revolutionary” and “civil” wars. I think.

Ok, I’m no historical buff, but at least I have an understanding of the difference, even if I didn’t like history in school! I think I learn more now than I ever did then. Crack out the whip – watch out girls, more writing assignments here we come!

No comments: