Friday, July 11, 2008

Bumps

Dirt roads. 32’ motorhome. AWESOME! We’re headed to the Ingalls homestead site, and, I’m ready to do a little off roading!

As some of you country bumpkins know, dirt roads can gain a certain washboard effect given the building up of perpendicular ruts in the road. Imagine - giant vehicle with mildly poor suspension. It is VERY bumpy.

Hmmm….I’m having an early childhood recollection. The faster you drive, the wheels can’t get into the bumps and the drive smooths out! I announce such a fact to the family and immediately accelerate. If I waited for debate, I’m sure I’d be voted down. Not worth waiting.

It starts getting bumpier. I know it’ll be smoother sooner! Carole’s digging her nails into her chair. She looks scared. The kids teeth are chattering. I continue to accelerate. Wow! It does get a little bit smoother albeit a LITTLER LOUDER NOW!

In deference to the cries of my family, I slow down to 2 mph. 100 yards and 2 years later we arrive at the highway to turn right. “Don’t EVER do that again with my children in the vehicle!” “But it was smoother”. “But it’s a DIRT road, what if you ever had to stop?!”

Ok. Valid point. I just might accidentally squish the possum crossing the road.

Wait a minute....I bet I could even do a donut in this thing.

1 comment:

Good Yarns said...

It IS true that the if you go fast enough, it is easier on the suspension and the people in the vehicle. That's how I'd see it if I was driving (I think). However, as a mom, I'd be completely terrified if I was a passenger in such a vehicle.